This episode is a presentation Dr. Rhonda Patrick delivered at the Biohacker Summit in Helsinki, Finland in 2016.
In this episode, Rhonda discusses...
- How heat stress, particularly from sauna use, makes the body more resilient to biological stress.
- How cellular stress creates what we call aging.
- The potential healthspan boosting effects of sauna use and how one study associated sauna use with up to a 40% lower all-cause mortality as well as a 50% lower cardiovascular disease related mortality.
- How sauna use has been shown to enhance athletic endurance in humans, stave off muscle atrophy, and improve the regrowth of muscle after disuse in animals.
- The potential for brain benefits, including the growth of new brain cells, improvements in focus, learning, and memory, and even potentially ameliorating depression and anxiety.
- How endocrine disrupting chemicals, such as BPA, PCBs, phthalates, and also metals are excreted through sweat. - Practical details like temperature and duration of sauna use, the difference between a dry, wet and infrared sauna, sauna timing, as well as other forms of heat stress such as steam showers, hot baths, and hot yoga.