Comments by mdc2275
  1. 2

I have heard that hydrolysed collagen can be damaged by too much agitation in a blender. Anything to worry about?

1. 1

Then just add it to the glass of smoothie afterward.

1. 1

In other words, take vitamin K2 MK7 every day.

1. 1

It’s easy to eat vegetables. Buy a blender if you don’t like salad. Add hemp seeds, and buy them in bulk on the web.

1. 1

Will this same lab test reishi, lions mane, turkey tail etc?

1. 1

I think the beta glycans (found in many mushrooms) lower inflammation in the gut. @programmer_Ali

1. 2

I didn’t know that blueberries are a nutrient. Are blueberries a good source of blueberries?

1. 2

Blueberries are not a nutrient…but they are really high in anthocyanins, which activate the NRF2 pathway. NRF2 is a transcription factor that increases antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, DNA repair genes and more. I’m wrapping up a clinical trial where we gave obese individuals a cup of blueberries a day…I have some exciting results on DNA damage that I hope to publish by Dec. @mdc2275

1. 1

Thank you for the teaser on the blueberry study you did. Can’t wait to see the results published!

I do also think that the flavonoids in blueberries are likely more important than the stilbenes, the content of which is comparatively low and variable depending on the growing conditions. The same is true for red wine, btw. Stilbenes are as much overrated as flavonoids are underrated!

One of my favorite sources of anthocyanins are black chokeberries.[1] They contain 10 times as much anthocyanins as blueberries (mostly cyanidin glycosides). They are yummy, very popular and inexpensive in Poland and Germany. Polish researchers have published some fascinating but unfortunately little noticed papers on aronia melanocarpa. Just look at the impressive, highly significant effects on blood pressure and inflammatory markers in a secondary prevention trial.[2]

1. http://phenol-explorer.eu/contents/food/106
                2. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17320090
                1. 1

We convinced my in-laws to grow chokeberries a few years ago…they have 4 bushes in their yard! THey freeze them and put them in smoothies!

1. 1

Great job! I have them in my muesli right now (of course with homemade probiotic yogurt enriched with oligofructose ;-)

2. 1
                3. 2

Testing done by the Natural Nutrition Board of America states that blueberries provide an adequate supply of blueberries [sic] while strawberries do not.

1. 1

pterostilbene is in blueberries. More studies should be done on that. I love taking 400mg of pterostilbene. Clears brain fog amazingly well/ Also anxiolytic.

1. 1

This is a very frustrating supplement, in just about every way you can imagine.

1 - Vit E has 8 components. An overwhelming majority of Vit E products contain only alpha tocopherol.

2 - High doses of alpha decrease gamma in the body. There by increasing cancer risk over the long term.

3 - The dosages are insane. 400 IU is overkill for most people.

4 - GOOD Vit E products have all 8 E components ( tocopherols and tocotrienols ), but are insanely rare and expensive. Also the dosages are likewise obscene. Why can’t the makers of these quality E products bring the doses way down to make it affordable?

5 - Olive oil is supposed to have Vit E, but good effing luck finding real olive oil. More than half is fake and you don’t even know WHICH HALF! Plus the good stuff degrades rapidly in the bottle.

6 - Has anyone done a PROPER discoid lupus study where they used complete Vit E and not just mega dose alpha tocopherol?

1. 1

I think good sources are avocados and nuts (almonds, pecans, etc). I think most people that supplement with E are doing too much. This has bad consequences.

1. 1

Can some please explain how this news would apply to someone with discoid Lupus? aka DLE…

1. 2

Granzyme B is the toxic chemical that is released and is produced by our different types of T cells, when they are killing foreign invaders including bacteria, viruses, and cancer cells. Unfortunately the granzyme B that they release when they kill is toxic to our own cells and collagen. Granzyme B can generate autoantigens that can cause the immune cells to recognize their own cells as “foreign,” and this can lead to the development of autoimmune diseases like lupus.

1. 1

Would organic amla berry powder qualify for this? And how much flavanols are in amla berry powder?

1. 1

Amla powder would qualify as it contains both flavanols and tannins but I’m not sure about the concentration in it. Here is a study where 500 mg of amla powder was given to people with hyperlipidemia and it lowered LDL the same as statins but without negative side effects. Very cool! http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3326920/