Comments by peterz54
    1. 1

Second time watching this excellent discussion. Reminded me of a series I just watched in which Dr. Kroemer participated - Rethinking Cancer Paris 2017. Although most of this was not new (Seyfried & Longo for example, some was (presentation by Larent Schwartz who also discussed hydroxycitrate). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNSUSYse8hQ&list=PL10AlbUYb6hf0tobpFyknWs2mSx2mbxQT

1. 2

Weekly News Digest is very valuable. On this study I think it would clarify the findings to look closely at the data. On the surface, it seems to conflict with Blue Zone and China Study results. Was a sub-group of high carb, but low or no simple carbs, with varying amounts of fat and protein evaluated? I suspect that over the last 40 to 50 years, with the explosion of fast foods and packaged crap in the grocery stores, that sugar AND fat consumption has gone up, at least in the US, because the pseudo-foods are engineered that way. Americans are not obese and diabetic because of an increase in complex carbs and, as a group, don’t eat a truly low fat diet (<20 % of calories).

1. 1

No doubt that these types of studies are riddled with confounders. Almost impossible to draw definitive conclusions from a prospective study. Higher total fruit, vegetable, and legume intake was inversely associated with major cardiovascular disease, myocardial infarction, cardiovascular mortality, non-cardiovascular mortality, and total mortality.

1. 1

Excellent and very helpful podcast. As a cardiac patient, I’ll be requesting the detailed lipid profile, which to date my cardiologist and family physician have not ordered. I went on a near vegan diet 3 years ago after discovering I had heart disease, and since then have ordered extra tests on my own. Among other things I’ve established that I can keep LDL under 70 mg/dL without statins. All my lipid markers (except HDL) fell dramatically and quickly when I went on a quality plant based diet. I’ve been intending to do more testing with slight dietary variations in diet (e.g no fruit juice vs the 4 ounces per day I currently consume, and variations in alcohol, fat, and protein intake) and this podcast has given me the incentive to do a better job correlating my blood markers with diet. My cardiologist never brings up lifestyle and has never ordered a detailed particle size test even after me having asked about the test.

Dr. Krauss discussed the lack of data relating diet and heart disease, so I must assume he discounts the value of observational and clinical studies such as the China Study, Blue Zones, and work done by Dr. Esselstyn with cardiac patients. Would have been interesting to get his take on the non-RCT data, assuming he’s taken a close look.

And, yes, simple carbs seem to be at the center of a lot of negative health outcomes affecting not only heart disease, but cancer (via increased glucose/insulin), diabetes, mental integrity, and overall longevity.