Comments by programmer_Ali
    1. 1

@rhonda Not related to topic, but since you don’t respond to emails, what is your opinion on Dandelion Coffee? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dandelion_coffee

1. 1

Wasn’t on my radar prior to this moment! What strikes your interest in particular… the coffee replacement or the cancer stuff?

1. 1

What peaked my interest was the list of chemicals in the dandelion coffee, especially after I went on a road trip and had just listened to your ‘Micro Nutrient Smoothie’ video a few times. I really liked hearing your rationale and chemistry of why you add certain foods.

What’s your opinion on the stuff within dandelion coffee (Flavanoids,Carotenoids, phenols, etc), and how does it stack up to let’s say, similar herbs, teas, or consumables.

1. 1

I’m really not familiar with dandelion coffee.

1. 2

I didn’t know that blueberries are a nutrient. Are blueberries a good source of blueberries?

1. 2

Blueberries are not a nutrient…but they are really high in anthocyanins, which activate the NRF2 pathway. NRF2 is a transcription factor that increases antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, DNA repair genes and more. I’m wrapping up a clinical trial where we gave obese individuals a cup of blueberries a day…I have some exciting results on DNA damage that I hope to publish by Dec. @mdc2275

1. 1

Thank you for the teaser on the blueberry study you did. Can’t wait to see the results published!

I do also think that the flavonoids in blueberries are likely more important than the stilbenes, the content of which is comparatively low and variable depending on the growing conditions. The same is true for red wine, btw. Stilbenes are as much overrated as flavonoids are underrated!

One of my favorite sources of anthocyanins are black chokeberries.[1] They contain 10 times as much anthocyanins as blueberries (mostly cyanidin glycosides). They are yummy, very popular and inexpensive in Poland and Germany. Polish researchers have published some fascinating but unfortunately little noticed papers on aronia melanocarpa. Just look at the impressive, highly significant effects on blood pressure and inflammatory markers in a secondary prevention trial.[2]

1. http://phenol-explorer.eu/contents/food/106
            2. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17320090
            1. 1

We convinced my in-laws to grow chokeberries a few years ago…they have 4 bushes in their yard! THey freeze them and put them in smoothies!

1. 1

Great job! I have them in my muesli right now (of course with homemade probiotic yogurt enriched with oligofructose ;-)

2. 1
            3. 2

Testing done by the Natural Nutrition Board of America states that blueberries provide an adequate supply of blueberries [sic] while strawberries do not.

1. 1

pterostilbene is in blueberries. More studies should be done on that. I love taking 400mg of pterostilbene. Clears brain fog amazingly well/ Also anxiolytic.

1. 1

@rhonda I’ve read all your recent stuff on the mitochondria. In the triage theory interview you mentioned pre-published research at your lab showing ergathionine as a mitochondrial antioxidant. Other then that, would you share any other potentially significant novel appoaches to mitochondria enhancement/health that you HAVENT shared on Foundmyfitness or have talked about previously in interviews. (Novel approaches not including triage theory, exercise, polyphenols, etc..)

1. 1

Glad someone posted this. The FDA is the reason that google hasn’t seriously considered entering the public health space. Companies like 23andMe get wrecked

1. 1

@carlsonbjj This is so upsetting.

1. 1

Good research behind it. I find it interesting how others come to similar conclusions from wholly different research, although I disagree with the overall synthesis of info and conclusion

1. 1

Haha, I actually talk about most of these in a recent talk I gave at the IHMC in Pensacola. You would be interesting in the pdf summary I wrote on this topic if you have not already seen it. http://foundmyfitness.com/?sendme=lifestyle-heuristic

1. 1

Your guys' site should allow basic html tags in addition to markdown. iI’s kinda annoying learning markdown when I want to include a link or just bold text

1. 1

Hmm, I think that might be doable. Will consider looking into that at some point.

1. 2

We can only hope! That’d be fantastic.

We (Rhonda & I) really appreciate your continuing to try to keep things lively around here, @programmer_Ali. Also @KickAssBrockSamson and @carlsonbjj both deserve a shout too! Rhonda and I both try to regularly circle back and dig through all of the awesome stuff you guys post.

We’ve got a lot of spokes in the fire, but I think that in the long-term FMF (news site, podcast, newsletter) will continue to grow… sometimes by leaps and bounds, and sometimes in the slow but steady sort of way. Fun times ahead.

• Dan
                          1. 1

@dan Haha Thoughts on the legitimacy of the spoofed article Titles?

1. 1

I’ve recently been reading about the importance between zinc to copper ratios.

1. 2

It’s got that possibly created by a pre-cog/elon musk love child glow to it. I’m kind of freaked out now that I realize it wasn’t a copy-paste job from reddit’s /r/futurology.

That said… Johnson and Johnson, shut up and take my money!

1. 2

My work.. dubbed Elon Musk love-child-like by Mr. Dan @dan ?…

THAT’S THE BEST COMPLIMENT EVER!! Haha Made my week!

Ohh and btw.. You can tell I am not illegitimate or pre-cog… Because I got the brand name wrong.. It’s actually Head and Shoulders .. ;)

1. 1

Cells producing telomerase > then telomere expenditure. Boom problem solved. This isn’t new… There is an entire book spanning the history of telomere research and specifically work involving immortal human cell lines. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.

1. 1

@programmer_Ali This is very interesting…I need to read the paper carefully and think about it!

1. 1

@rhonda Why was the post hidden?

1. 1

Looks like a couple of folk downvoted it. Countered with an upvote. ;-)

1. 1

Ahhhh hidden == Downvoted. Thanks! Btw what language is your site made in?

1. 1

Yup! Rails. It allows us to be pretty flexible on what we do with it. We’re actually working right now on adding commenting and voting functionality to the mobile apps (which involves creating new API endpoints, of course). So maybe we’ll see some more participation soon? That’d be fun.

1. 1

How to make your site more usable.

• When I view an article and am ready to comment and I have not already logged in, The modal box that pops up and says that I should log in or sign up.. Should return me to the same page I was viewing. I can’t tell you how many times this has happened to me and it is a quite bothersome.

1. 1

Great suggestion… It’s one I’ve observed as well. I have a mountain of a list of little quirks like that I’m trying to square away. We do have someone that just started helping out a little bit, so this is actually at the top of the list of little annoyances that I’ll run by him. Thanks for mentioning it!

1. 1

Given a perfect studious candidate, are you open to the possibility of an intern?

1. 1

HAHAHA what the heck!

1. 1

@rhonda You mentioned in another comment that piperine increases the bioavailibility of curcumin by 2000%. Do you have the source for that research? Thanks alot!

1. 1

How well does this translate to oral turmeric intake?

1. 4

In this study tumerone was injected to brain but other studies translate to 5-6 grams per day. However, this was administered without piperine, which increases bioavailability of curcumin (and likely tumerone) by 2000%. That would suggest that 300mg-1000mg may be a decent range but I’m looking for more studies to confirm.

1. 1

Thank you for all your hard work!

1. 1

Are there any studies showing bioavailbility of curcumin or turmerone and weather they pass the blood brain barrier?

1. 1

Yes, they do pass the BBB.

1. 1

Fats also increase the Bioavailibility such as olive oil

1. 1

I just hope the FDA does not slow down the progress the Bio Tech industry is making. The future looks bright :D

1. 2

@KickAssBrockSamson, @rhonda, Theranos' Board is absolutely stacked and unlikely to be slowed by the FDA. http://www.theranos.com/our-company

1. 1

The transparency of their pricing structure is awesome, but I’m a bit curious what the consumer experience will be like. Will I be able to walk into a walgreens and order up my own test with one of their machines… or will I need to make a more formal appointment with a professional in order to get what I want?

My personal favorite? The availability of both.

1. 2

They’ll have both for sure. As amazing as it sounds right now it’s my opinion that Theranos will NOT be the revolutionary boon to personalized medicine. Internally they are going to have the absolute best information and technology, bar-none, but publicly I believe they will only release marginally improved testing.

1. 1

Really? That’s sort of interesting. If they do have both, I’d expect that would be a huge boon… Why do you think otherwise?

1. 2

Because of the background of their sponsors, board, and partners AND because of the implications of that technology being fully public. It is just far too valuable to keep that technology locked and proprietary. Also the united states has a history of prosecuting anyone in health that is too progressive. 23AndMe, Royal Raymond Rife, etc..

2. 1

I agree!

1. 3

not as good as this site, but ergo-log

1. 1

@carlsonbjj Any others? You usually post good stuff!

1. 2

singularity hub, sciencedaily, futurity, suppversity, daniel kraft’s twitter feed

1. 1

@oofashusi Prebiotics are an order of magnitude better then Probiotics. The only reason kombucha is useful is because of the vinegar in it..