Comments by pelawren
  1. 2

It appears that fat contributes 44% of calories in the fasting mimicking diet. Though this high % may work well for those who are say APOE 2/3, I wonder it will work just as well for those with APOE ¾? I am basing this question on the APOE gene-diet where more carbohydrate is recommended for APOE ¾: https://www.google.com/patents/EP2038866A2?cl=en

The % recommended for APOE ¾: 20% fat;, 25% protein, and 55% carbohydrate.

1. 3

There are so many mixed studies on whether people with the apoE4 allele should eat a higher carbohydrate versus fat ratio. What is more clear is that a higher polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fat ratio may be important since saturated fat increases LDL particles and apoE4 also dramatically increases LDL particle number.

Additionally, the FMD has positive effects on lipids, including lowering triglycerides and LDL. While the FMD is high in fat, the fat is from polyunsaturated and monounsaturated sources! That’s an important distinction.

I am adding apoE4 to my genetic report this week and will be discussing some plausible interventional approaches there. :)