Comments by thx1138
  1. 1

what about the effects of saturated fats on a ketogenic diet and having the apoe 4 gene?

1. 2

could be wrong but I am thinking this post was a hijack and not meant to be there

1. 1

Hi same here, using your genetic tool Rhonda I have the same gene polymorphisms as brywatson, in the beginning of the podcast you said that although ppar-alpha will be mentioned it will only be briefly, I was excited to listen to this podcast until I heard that, I really wish you would dedicate a whole podcast or article or video on PPAR-ALPHA and the other genetic polymorphisms that make a ketogenic diet as you said dangerous for some people, and more specifically how can someone in my position still do a ketogenic diet effectively I would say that would be hugely helpful, when I was on keto I didn’t feel well and I had ldl-p and cholesterol through the roof, you are actually the only one that talked about my genes issue when I was trying to find answers, but now I feel like ok I have these gene markers but where do I go from here, please Rhonda any help on how our types can move forward with respects to diet and aging would be so awesome

1. 2

I do plan on diving in an doing short videos on specific SNPs, particularly ones related to fat metabolism since low-carb, high-fat and ketogenic diets have become popular. The PPAR-alpha SNP is one that is most concerning when it comes to ketogenic diets since that gene is essential for the process of ketogenesis. It is good that you measured a variety of blood biomarkers since that is really the only way to test whether a diet works for you.

What you’re saying might suggest that a ketogenic diet may not work for you. At least that’s one way to interpret it. (Note: I don’t mean that as medical advice!)

With respect to PPAR-alpha, other factors that can activate are polyunsaturated fatty acids particularly docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), which are the fatty acids abundant in fish oil. DHA and EPA have been shown to be agonists for PPAR-genes. PPAR-alpha is under circadian regulation, so time-restricted eating may be even more important. If you really want to try a monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fat-based ketogenic diet see my comment to @brywatson. Of course, you would have to measure your blood biomarkers again to monitor how the diet affects those markers of health status. It would be appropriate to monitor these under the trained guidance of a physician.

1. 1

Hi Dr. Patrick. I really enjoy your podcast when I get the chance to listen. I also have a question about the PPARA. Your analyzer showed I have the rs1800206 SNP, but I also have a normal PPARG rs1801282, so do these perhaps balance each other out? I’ve been experimenting with a ketogenic diet, but have been hesitant to overdo the saturated fats based on my abnormal PPARA. I’m curious if there’s a recommended ratio of PUFAs to SFAs for people with this SNP. Would appreciate your take on this. Thanks for all you do!

1. 1

Thanks Rhonda I will be looking out for those, I feel a bit boxed in because I have other Polymorphisms that indicate the other fats I respond bad as well I guess I am destined for a low fat high carb diet but the that seems to go against what was covered in your latest podcast with regards to longevity

ADIPOQ | rs17300539 | MAF: 0.027 GG LEPR | rs8179183 | MAF: 0.142 CG You have a worse response to monounsaturated fat

PPARA | rs1800206 | MAF: 0.023 GC G = higher fat in blood (risk for blood clots) after eating polyunsaturated fats ®

Thanks so much again, I think this topic is much overlooked in the Keto Community

1. 1

I’m not sure I have seen any convincing data that rs17300539 causes a bad response to monounsaturated fat or rs1800206 leads to clots after polyunsaturated fat, particular the omega-3 fatty acids which have a positive effect on PPARA, not a negative effect, but I could be convinced… with sufficient references.

Also, longevity has been associated with a diet high in vegetables and fruits in many, many observational studies. Not all carbs are created equal! You’ll notice that even in this interview, Dr. Verdin himself mentions he doesn’t always adhere strictly to a ketogenic diet. If the case could be made that he’s dramatically shortening his lifespan by not doing so, we might hear differently!

1. 1

I’m using selfdecode.com as well which sometimes gets a little too deep for me so far your tool is the simplest to understand and yes I agree Blue Zones always seem to confirm longevity pillars as you mention

References from selfcode again I don’t understand it all I was going to try ketogenic PUFA/MUFA but was not sure

PUFA: http://m.jn.nutrition.org/content/135/3/397.long

MUFA: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/19238139

Thanks again Rhonda!

1. 1

With respect to the PPAR-alpha and PUFA study you linked, it shows that omega-6 fatty acids may specifically decrease plasma triglyceride concentrations in carriers of the 162L allele, whereas dietary omega-3 fatty acids may lower triglycerides independent of the PPARA-L162V polymorphism.

1. 1

Awesome so PUFA’s are fine for my genotype it seems thanks for taking the time to look at that Rhonda and clarifying that