Comments by Carton89
  1. 2

So, I began taking Alpha GPC (along with fish oil and vitamin D) which I have done daily since the time of my last post, about 12 days (300-900 mg/day). These 3 supplements have made an incredible differences in my mental clarity and ability, I have the t;t variation in the PEMT, which I believe is correlated with the lowest phosphotidylcholine production in relation to that specific SNP. The alpha GPC has a clear positive effect every time I take it. I have heard Dr. Rhonda mention that up-regulating certain neurotransmitters can down-regulate the receptors of those neurotransmitters, I hope this is not the case with Alpha GPC and acetylcholine, but I plan on cycling out the Alpha GPC with CDP Choline in hopes of avoiding that type of issue.

It was already common for me to eat 3-4 eggs a day a few times a week after a workout, which I now feel was insufficient to provide me with adequate levels of choline. I feel so much better that I want to take Alpha GPC everyday. I will try to update when I am familiar with the effects of CDP choline.

Any information (scientific or anecdotal) involving this type of polymorphism is appreciated.

1. 1

hi, any updates on the CDP choline? I’m trying to decide whether to try GPC or CDP, I too am a t,t.

1. 1

Hi Generika,

Yes, I have continued to take CDP Choline or Alpha GPC over the last 10 months, mostly CDP Choline (Jarrows 250mg). I have perceived benefits from taking it that last in a way that allow me to not take it every day. The ½ life of CDP choline is quite long, 35+ hours, so I began taking it every other day, which I did for several months, I now take it maybe 2-3 times a week.

It seems to me that the choline supplements have improved my cognitive function greatly and restored me to feeling more like I did when I was a bit younger. Life feels more novel and less like a burden. Also, I think I was having some inflammatory issues that I have addressed through diet, as well as getting more 5methylFolate, and b12 as I have a SNP in the MTFR gene that I think was also a factor in cognitive deficits I was experiencing. Choline seems to work on the same pathways as many of the b vitamins so try to make sure you are getting adequate levels of them all.

I am in a much better place subjectively than I was about 1 year ago when I began addressing these issues, my cognitive function is better and I have relieved a constant pressure I was feeling in the frontal cortex area of my brain, I am sleeping better too.

I am concerned with the choline supplements contributing to the formation of TMAO’s as are others who are interested in these supplements. I have felt nothing negative but would like to find a method to ensure that im not getting dangerous levels of these metabolites. If anyone has advice on that it would be appreciated.

Sorry if my answer is long winded I just don’t want to give an incomplete answer and the context is very important to give you an adequate answer about the efficacy of these supplements.

Since you are a t,t I am curious, are you experiencing and subjective cognitive deficits? How old are you? I am 29.

1. 1

The dose of fish oil is only 1g daily, not even 1g of EPA, just 1 gram of fish oil; a surprisingly low dose. Happy to see research that might help establish minimum effective dosages, but these doses aren’t significant enough to warrant some of the salacious headlines about “dissapointing results” or these supplements not working. As you said Timar, the jury is still out.

It’s pretty encouraging to see that there were modest benefits even at a low dose of fish oil, would love to see this study repeated at 2, 3, 4x these daily intakes.

1. 1

It wasn’t ordinary fish oil (~30% LC-PUFAs) though, but the highly purified 90% ethyl ester prescription form containing 460 mg EPA and 380 mg DHA per 1 g capsule (Omacor). Of course, for certain conditions, a much higher dose seems warranted, particularly with regard to EPA, but remember that this was a long-term trial (5.3 years) in a generally healthy population, making this dose it a perfectly reasonable choice, not only due to cost considerations but also the risk-benefit ratio, as high doses of fish oil have some potential downsides (such as increased risk of bleeding or possibly even of some cancers).

I don’t think that we will ever see a comparable trial using a larger of even similar dose LC-PUFAs in a generally healthy, multiracial population, let alone of this size (25,871).

1. 2

Good to see that some solid decisions emerging from research of these antibiotics. My father had problems with his Achilles tendon after taking Cipro about 30 years ago. Another friend of mine has permanent prostate issues from Cipro which he took in 2006.

1. 1

I have been attempting to find any information on FoundFitness site regarding Fluoroquinolone Toxicity…a really under reported, and under investigated MAJOR DISEASE that effcts millions of people, including myself. Other than the closed FB groups, of which I belong, it is disheartening to find little biomedical research and information in general in the medical field that would increase and expedite help for those of us who have, and the many millions walking around who do not know they have this.

1. 2

I love using the sauna, but I haven’t perfected it.. and by that I mean this: I used the Sauna 1-4x a week for about a year and a half, and after some blood work I found out I had hyperatremia… Low soduim in my blood, which could’ve been responsible for some dizzy symptoms I had been having (I typically would not salt my meals and rarely eat processed foods).

I increased my sodium intake about 2 months ago, and continued to use the sauna about 1-3x a week. Last time I used it for 20 minutes and became very dizzy, and I think i was hyperventilating. My muscles started to contract (hands first). The symptoms subsided over about an hour, but i was left incredibly dizzy and confused for the rest of the night. Once that night i had such an extreme dizzy spell that I felt blood or fluid or something trying to regulate in my brain suddenly, causing uncontrollable swooning for about 5 seconds. It was very scary, If i had been standing at the time I would have hit the floor.

I am 28, I exercise daily, I eat right, I like to use the sauna and take cold showers and obviously I follow Dr. Rhonda. Obviously it is frustrating to feel like I am doing everything in my power for my health and having crazy symptoms like this from a regular sauna session. I think its probably related to electrolyte imbalance but I am amazed that I don’t hear much from other sauna users about these same issues.

PS I drank plenty of water that day and probably about ½ a gallon during that 20 min sauna session. If anyone has advice please let me know.

1. 2

You likely have hyponatremia (not hyper) if your sodium is low. Causes can be many. Could just be drinking too much free water, sweating and not getting enough electrolytes/Na. Agree with increasing your salt intake and possibly adding electrolyte replacement tabs to your water when your exercise/sauna. Low Magnesium levels can cause some of the cramping symptoms as well. If it still happens, would talk to your doctor and repeat the Na levels. If they are still low, there’s a list of test to determine why; serum and urine osmolality test help to then direct other test like endocrine issues (SIADH/thyroid/adrenal).
            Just my thoughts. Its been a while since I was tested on that general medicine stuff.

1. 1

Scott,

Yes I meant Hyponatremia. I do drink a lot of water, and that is probably a factor. I’m just a little confused that I had this muscle contraction/hyperventilation incident after 1-2 months of increasing my sodium intake. I’m not weighing the salt or anything, but I had been getting significantly more prior to this incident. So, apparently I still have an imbalance. I eat healthy and generally assume I get enough magnesium, potassium, other electrolytes. I wish there were a quick easy way to test. Thanks for your reply Scott.

1. 1

I also had this finding. I am going to try Alpha GPC. Not really sure the best method to ensure I’m getting sufficient amounts of Choline.

1. 2

I think the fact that you are waking around 3-4 am might be a sign that you are actually not eating enough. Remember that time restricted eating is not a diet, meaning that benefits are seen when a person eats a full day worth of calories in a restricted window of time.

So try to calculate your basal metabolism then add your energy expenditure to figure out your calorie requirements. Mine happens to be about 1300 + 500-900, so, 1800 - 2200 calories depending on exercise, ect.

I don’t sleep well when I am hungry, and if I don’t have enough food at my last meal it might disrupt my sleep. I usually eat a bit more than I think I should at my last meal, but as long as I stay in on the time restricted schedule I never gain fat.

Also, try getting a good amount of fat and protein into that last meal!

1. 1

hey what kind of fat do you eat for your last meal?

1. 1

hey, i thought ive this as well. especially with the exercise i do. i usually walk for 10-15 minutes after meals(3 times a day) then do whatever workout i have for that day as well. i lift, hiit, yoga, or bike. those workouts are usually about 30 minutes. i eat 3 times a day as i stated. i eat more fat than anything (nuts, flax, olive oil, almond butter etc,) but i get full because there is usually a good amountn of fiber in those foods so my dilemma is trying to get enough calories in each meal while not getting full. is just downing a bunch of olive oil to reach caloric goals the solution?

1. 1

What are you trying to achieve with your body? Are you looking to lose weight, maintain weight, or increase it?
                    The simple answer to your question of reaching caloric intake using oil is “no”.

1. 1

i like my weight where its at, which is 160 at 5'11. yesterday i ate less carbs than normal as well as eating more calories from fat. i had a bit more trouble falling asleep at first but felt like i slept deeper when i was asleep. would your answer to the olive oil question be because it isn’t nutrient dense and isn’t something that is necessarily broken down like say nuts or fish?